Chennai’s lifeline is in danger. The Kosasthalaiyar River andEnnore Creek are dying a slow death. The river is to Chennai what an artery is to our heart. If the river or creek have blockages, the city can suffer a massive heart attack. The Kosasthalaiyar River and Ennore Creek are dying a slow death. The river is to Chennai what an artery is to our heart. If the river or creek have blockages, the city can suffer a massive heart attack.
If we don’t save this river, Chennai will continue to get flooded and the situation will get worse every year. Sign our petition and ask the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister to come up with a plan to save Chennai by saving the Ennore creek.
Years of neglect and destruction of the wetlands in this region has severely reduced the ability of the Ennore Creek to carry floodwaters.
Fly ash from the thermal power plants and encroachment by the Ports in this region have reduced the water spread area and the depth of the river in several places.
The bridges that criss-cross the creek also disrupt the water flow especially because the spaces between pillars is filled with debris that blocks the free flow of water.
These blocks were a major cause for floods in the region last year. It doesn’t have to be this way. Sign our petition and save Chennai.
There are six simple steps that can be taken by the Governmentto let the Kosasthalaiyar flow freely and reduce the risk of flooding. These measures can be taken well before the onset of monsoons:
- Remove fly ash from creek and nearby wetlands, and stop discharging fly ash-laden water into the creek from the ash dykes of NCTPS and NTECL Vallur.
- Declog Buckingham Canal by removing dumped earth and fly ash.
- Desilt Buckingham Canal and Feeder Canals like Captain Cotton Canal, Otteri Nullah, Kodungaiyur Drain.
- Dredge and deepen spaces between bridges and conveyor belts to their original depths.
- Remove construction debris dumped in Kosasthalaiyar and Buckingham Canal to build ETPS’ conveyor belt.
- Stop all further construction on saltpans, mangroves and other wetlands in the Ennore region in line with the Madras High Court’s directions prohibiting conversion of wetlands.
Sign our petition and ask the Tamil Nadu CM to come up with a plan to save Chennai by saving the Ennore creek.